What this apprenticeship teaches you
A Heavy Vehicle (HV) technician services, inspects and repairs heavy vehicles, categorised by the Department of Transport as category N2 or N3, and associated trailers, with the associated ancillaries
They work in either a dealership that focuses on a particular manufacturer or for an independent garage, franchise or large fleet operator that deals with many different makes of vehicles. They work on all the systems found within the vehicle.
They work on all the systems found within the vehicle. The nature of the work ranges from replacing simple parts through to solving complex faults with the use of diagnostic methods and equipment.
Examples of units covered in this apprenticeship are:
- Using tools and equipment in motor vehicle engineering
- Inspecting commercial vehicles
- Diagnosing and rectifying commercial vehicle engine and component faults
- Diagnosing and rectifying motor vehicle
Why choose this apprenticeship
The Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair apprenticeship is great for employers, helping businesses build a stronger, more confident workforce equipped with greater skills.
Our Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair apprenticeship is designed for candidates who do not hold a formal qualification
How the apprenticeship works
When studying a motor vehicle qualification, the apprentice will be assessed and reviewed regularly to ensure apprentices achieve the required skills to successfully complete their apprenticeships. Candidates are expected to complete their apprenticeships within 36 months.
How the assessment works
The apprentice will attend GTG Training's purpose-built motor vehicle workshop on a block release basis. As part of the programme the employer and training provider will assess the progressive development via assessments at the end of Gateway's 1 and 2. The final End Point Assessment will consist of on-line knowledge, practical skills tests and a professional discussion.
Apprenticeship Programmes at GTG
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Bus and Coach Body Cladding
- Lift Truck Maintenance and Repair
- Vehicle Fitting
- Vehicle Accident Repair Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET)
- Vehicle Body Repair and Alignment
- Vehicle Paintwork Repair
- Vehicle Parts Operations
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (England)
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (England)
- Vehicle Fitting (England)
- Vehicle Accident Repair Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET) (England)
- Vehicle Body Repair and Alignment (England)
- Vehicle Paintwork Repair (England)
- Vehicle Parts Operations (England)
- Business Administration Level 2 and 3
- Customer Service Level 2
- Customer Service Level 3
- Management Level 3
- Management Level 4
- Retail Skills Level 2
- Retail Skills Level 3 - Sales Professional