What this apprenticeship teaches you
Our Automotive Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair apprenticeships can be government-funded and are designed for candidates who do not hold a formal qualification.
Examples of the units covered are:
- Contributing to housekeeping
- Reducing risks to health and safety
- Maintaining working relationships
- Using tools and equipment in motor vehicle engineering
- Facilitating individuals' learning and development
- Inspecting commercial vehicles
- Diagnosing and rectifying commercial vehicle engine and component faults
- Diagnosing and rectifying motor vehicle electrical unit and component faults
Why choose this apprenticeship
The Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair apprenticeship is great for employers, helping businesses build a stronger, more confident workforce equipped with greater skills.
This apprenticeship provides prospective HGV vehicle technicians with the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out the role of a modern automotive technician.
How the apprenticeship works
When studying a motor vehicle qualification, the apprentice will be assessed on various stages of technology and maintenance, including health and safety, mechanical and electrical systems and electronic vehicle systems.
They will develop the skills required to service and maintain vehicle systems as well as diagnosing, inspecting, removing and replacing vehicle components.
How the assessment works
The apprentice will be assessed through practical observations both in the workplace and at GTG Training. They will also complete online tests and be expected to submit job card evidence. The apprentice will undertake vocational training in the workplace and will attend GTG Training's purpose built motor vehicle workshop on a block release basis for underpinning knowledge and practical training.
Apprenticeship Programmes at GTG
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Bus and Coach Body Cladding
- Lift Truck Maintenance and Repair
- Vehicle Fitting
- Vehicle Accident Repair Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET)
- Vehicle Body Repair and Alignment
- Vehicle Paintwork Repair
- Vehicle Parts Operations
- Business Administration Level 2 and 3
- Customer Service Level 2
- Customer Service Level 3
- Management Level 3
- Management Level 4
- Retail Skills Level 2
- Retail Skills Level 3 - Sales Professional