What is an apprenticeship?
If higher education isn't for you, an apprenticeship is a great place to start your career journey. You start learning - and earning - straight away. You'll be paid at least the minimum wage, combine classroom training with hands-on experience in a real working environment, and get the holidays you need to enjoy a good work-life balance.
By the end of your apprenticeship, you can expect to have gained the skills to succeed in your chosen field and be in a position to take up further training. With 91% of candidates in work just six months after becoming qualified, an apprenticeship is a fantastic way to launch your career.Find your course
Frequently asked questions
What happens when I apply?
Your application will be reviewed by a member of our recruitment team to check your qualifications meet our entry requirements.
If that's successful, you'll be invited to attend a session with GTG. This will include basic numeracy, basic literacy and (if you're applying for a technician apprenticeship), a mechanical aptitude test.
After that, we'll send your application to employers closest to your local area. You'll be asked to attend an interview with the employer before being accepted.
How long does an apprenticeship last?
Your apprenticeship can take between one and five years to complete, depending on the level of qualifications you choose. The majority last between one and three years.
- Automotive: 3-4 years
- Transport: Around 1 year
- Forklift and Warehouse: Around 1 year
- Business Skills: 6 to 15 months
- Engineering: Around 1 year
- Prince's Trust Get into Cars: 6 weeks
During this time, you'll be working and gaining invaluable experience, doing what you love.
Who can apply?
Our apprenticeship courses are open to people aged 16 or over, giving trainees a chance to earn as they learn. This means working towards a recognised qualification and skilled employment with greater career prospects.
So whether you're coming straight from school, further education or are already in employment, we've got apprenticeship courses in a huge range of careers - from motor vehicle technicians to business administrators. All you need to do is make sure you meet the course entry requirements listed on the apprenticeship.
GTG Open Day
Each year, we hold an apprentice recruitment open day to showcase all our Modern Apprenticeship courses. This is a great way to get an insight into different career opportunities, see our facilities and meet our trainers.
What to expect when you start
You will be given some kit so that you're ready for your first day, including:
- Manuals and course materials
- Health and safety information
- Overall and boots (if you're on an automotive course)
- GTG water bottle, bag and pens
What qualifications do you need?
You must have received either a 1-4 Standard Grade, 4/5 National Grade (Scotland) or a GCSE, A-C grade (England) in:
- A science or technical subject
- Business Admin/IT/Computing
Intermediate grades will also be accepted. You'll see all the entry requirements on each of the course pages. If you haven't taken your exams yet, you will only qualify for the programme if you receive the required grades.
For Transport apprenticeships we also require a full, clean driving licence.
Why choose GTG Training?
GTG has over 40 years' experience partnering with employers to put apprentices on the fast track to success. We've been named Learning Provider of the Year at the Scottish Modern Apprenticeship Awards and our experienced assessor Jim Swan won the 2018 Instructor of the Year award. Our state-of-the-art facilities in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Wolverhampton offer the latest in training technology.
Apprenticeship Programmes at GTG
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Bus and Coach Body Cladding
- Lift Truck Maintenance and Repair
- Vehicle Fitting
- Vehicle Accident Repair Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET)
- Vehicle Body Repair and Alignment
- Vehicle Paintwork Repair
- Vehicle Parts Operations
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (England)
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (England)
- Vehicle Fitting (England)
- Vehicle Accident Repair Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET) (England)
- Vehicle Body Repair and Alignment (England)
- Vehicle Paintwork Repair (England)
- Vehicle Parts Operations (England)
- Business Administration Level 2 and 3
- Customer Service Level 2
- Customer Service Level 3
- Management Level 3
- Management Level 4
- Retail Skills Level 2
- Retail Skills Level 3 - Sales Professional