What this apprenticeship teaches you
The Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair apprenticeship provides prospective light vehicle technicians with the necessary skills and knowledge to carry out the role of an automotive technician.
In addition, it confirms to the employee that they have a range of flexible skills backed up by a nationally recognised vocational qualification.
Examples of units covered are:
- Inspection of light vehicles
- Diagnosing and rectifying chassis units and components
- Diagnosing and rectifying vehicle engine and component faults
- Materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
- Ensuring your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- Contributing to workplace good housekeeping
Why choose this apprenticeship
A motor vehicle technician services and repairs light vehicles and works either in dealerships that focus on a particular manufacturer, or for an independent garage that deals with many different makes of vehicles.
This qualification is for those who are currently working in or who wish to work in an administrative position and would like to certify their competence in administrative skills.
They work on all systems found within the vehicle. The nature of work ranges from replacing simple parts through to solving complex faults with the use of diagnostic methods and equipment.
Our Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair apprenticeship is designed for candidates who do not hold a formal qualification.
How the apprenticeship works
The apprentice will be taught a range of core knowledge and core skills and the apprenticeship will take a minimum of 12 months to complete prior to taking the end-point assessment.
When studying a motor vehicle qualification, the apprentice will be assessed and reviewed regularly to ensure apprentices achieve the required skills to successfully complete their apprenticeships. Candidates are expected to complete their apprenticeships within 36 months.
How the assessment works
The apprentice will attend GTG Training's purpose-built motor vehicle workshop on a block release basis. As part of the programme the employer and training provider will assess the progressive development via assessments at the end of Gateways 1 and 2.
The final End Point Assessment will consist of on-line knowledge, practical skills tests and a professional discussion.
Apprenticeship Programmes at GTG
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- Bus and Coach Body Cladding
- Lift Truck Maintenance and Repair
- Vehicle Fitting
- Vehicle Accident Repair Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET)
- Vehicle Body Repair and Alignment
- Vehicle Paintwork Repair
- Vehicle Parts Operations
- Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (England)
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (England)
- Vehicle Fitting (England)
- Vehicle Accident Repair Mechanical, Electrical and Trim (MET) (England)
- Vehicle Body Repair and Alignment (England)
- Vehicle Paintwork Repair (England)
- Vehicle Parts Operations (England)
- Business Administration Level 2 and 3
- Customer Service Level 2
- Customer Service Level 3
- Management Level 3
- Management Level 4
- Retail Skills Level 2
- Retail Skills Level 3 - Sales Professional